Just a little nuts

Just a little nuts
A blog about single parenting & autism

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Common Core, you are not our friend

What does this even mean?

Little Squirrel brought home some low scores on math assignments and tests. She tested into the superior range last year for math calculations but the format of the Common Core curriculum works against her logical, literal thinking. She couldn't make sense of the format and wrote "I don't get it" beside a lot of the problems. I didn't get it either when I helped her go through and fix the errors. I can add and subtract and solve for x, but I just can't figure out what they are asking most of the time on these pages.

I am even more opposed to Common Core now that I see how it demands that all children must learn and think the same way. It doesn't allow for any differences and appears to view different as less, or incorrect.

No comments:

Post a Comment